Monday, October 22, 2007

Trucks vs Adoption

We're doing our best to set the stage for lots of discussions with Alex about growing your family through adoption. We've read all the 'talking with your child about adoption' books for parents. We've examined numerous picture books about adoption (many of which I felt were too specific to other situations to be helpful). I found one in particular that I think speaks to all children who have been adopted, Fred Rogers Let's Talk about Adoption. So I ordered it last week and it arrived in my mail today. It is a wonderful book that tells children how they needed a family and their parents needed a child and adoption made them all a family.

After dinner tonight I told Alex I had a new book to read with him.

Me: Alex, I have a new book about adoption we can read together.
Alex: Trucks?
Me: No, a book about adoption.
Alex: (without further discussion, hustles over to his My Big Truck Book, plops himself down and starts to point out the trucks)

So much for adoption parenting. Apparently not as important right now as finding that big yellow school bus in the big book of trucks.

Speaking of truck books, one of the books we took to Taiwan last year was Byron Barton's Planes. It has brightly colored pictures, few words, and is perfect for a one year old. And we knew we'd be spending hours and hours on, yes, a Plane. We have since added two others in this series, Trucks and Trains, to our collection, and Alex loves them all.


No comments: